Sunday, July 10, 2011

Running or not, it's all fun :)

Today I ran in a race, it was not a big race, and I was not breaking any personal records, and I had no intention of pushing any limits or beating anyone up. Today was about enjoying the run, being a mobile cheering squad, and cameraman all at once. I took a video camera; a new Kodak HD camera that I bought today, and tried to figure out if I could get any smooth video from holding the camera while I run.

I was running with Alex and Bobby in the Underwear Affair, between the two of them they raised nearly $1500 for cancer below the waist. Alex looked strong through the run until she left me behind at around 4k, and I stayed back so I could make sure Bobby was doing OK. 10k is not a huge distance for me, but Bobby while in decent shape is not a trained runner, he has enough fitness to get him through the run, but it is a challenge. And he did not train for this at all. The next 6 k Bobby held a steady pace, it was not till the hill before the bridge that he was finally forced to stop and walk a spell. But good on him, as soon as he got to the top of the steep hill he started running again, most if the way to the top of the Burrard bridge then again back down to the finish line in Kitsilano.

Overall I ran good, I was wearing Vibram Fivefinger Bikila shoes for the first time, with easy intervals to get ahead and take pictures, then walking at the end with Bobby when he needed a recovery.

We finished in 1:00:08 just over an hour and into a mass of runners all drinking beer, and wine in their underwear. This was a good run to remember that running is fun, and remember that I am in good enough shape to just get out and do it. There was a time that 1:25:00 was my best ever and only 10k, and that was 30lbs and a lot of miles ago.

They say no pain no gain, it's a good thing to remember to enjoy the gain too :)

Sign up for 2012, it was a great event, I will be back next year schedule premitting
http://va11.uncoverthecure.org/  

No comments:

Post a Comment