Sunday, July 10, 2011

Run like a Caveman  - Vibram Fivefingers - Bikila

WARNING- If you are interested in buying these for training or racing purposes, you must start slow and short. They are different enough that of you try them For the first time coming from traditional running shoes that you may cause injury. I will outline what I did to get used to them...

I have purposely taken a while to write this review because these are strange enough in the shoe world that I wanted to make sure I had some history in them before I formed an opinion.

These are an interesting shoe, if they can be called a shoe at all. I could describe them like toe-socks with Vibram soles. Mechanically they feel like bare feet, with just enough padding so that my forefoot  does not burn too much from running in them.

My first experience with the Vibram Fivefinger was with the KSO, which I started playing with in October 2010 after the Victoria Marathon. Mostly walking, and a bit of running, but the KSO is more minimal,  easy enough to run in for short and medium distances, but the lack of padding left the balls of my feet burning after a long-ish run.


The Bikila is more of a purpose built running variation of the Fivefinger design, it has the same heel profile, overall fit, and is slightly warmer than the KSO. The difference is on the ground feel, there is just a little more rubber between the ground and my foot, which for longer runs does feel better for me right now, less feel of what is under foot, but still a lot better feel than a traditional shoe.



The way they are supposed to work, is with virtually no heel lift, you are forced into a barefoot, forefoot strike in your stride, engaging the arch of the foot, and calves to absorb all of the impact of running in the soft tissue. Rather than beating up my knees and back by accidental Heel strikes from running, all of the wear and tear happens on the muscles. This is why it takes a while to get into them. My first walk with them was 10 blocks to the coffee shop and back, the next day I felt like there were 10 small little muscles in each calf that I diddnt know I had complaining at me. Over the next three weeks I progressed to jogging a few blocks, then one kilometer then two. My first "Run" in these was about 2.5k, and included a significant hill. After that run my calves burned with DOMS, like I had been power lifting, it was worse than my last two Marathons. But my calves did stop burning and my legs have now gotten a lot stronger as a result.

The theory I have read is that traditional shoes with high arch support, and posting to remove impact is similar to putting your foot in a cast. Causing the arch of the foot to drop, because it is not working to stabilize the foot anymore, and all of the muscles associated with that function atrophy as a result causing knee problems, back problems, and all manor of injuries that just did not happen 40 years ago when shoes were so much more simple. I had been very aware since I started running that changing shoes, brands, and types were very uncomfortable. So much that I have 4 pairs of $40 insoles just so I can have a pair in every running shoe and work boot I own.  Now after 8 months of running in these shoes, I don't need the insoles any more, my arches are much stronger, and my legs have gained a lot of strength as well. It is strange to think but after running 6 days a week for 4 years, I'm still learning.

Final Verdict on the Vibram Fivefingers: Two Thumbs Up  and a closet full of these,  with the caveat that they need to be eased into. I could see the potential for injury was high if I tried to jump into a full training plan with them right out of the Box. We were born to run, It would take a team of Engineers a million years to improve on what we were born with.

Nike says "Just do It", Vibram says "You Were Born for This.."

08/14/11-Update - I have recently added to my collection The KomodoSport, Similar feel to the Bikila but with an added adjustable Heel Strap for a snugger fit. I am liking these as well.

Cleaning Tip: (Unconfirmed) I was told that these clean best if you soak your fivefingers in water with a Denture Tablet then hang to dry - Im going to try it out next time and will update with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment