Monday, January 3, 2011

Running For the Seabus - tough runs are training too

Let's start at the top. 

I started with a lazy morning lay in. A shot of protein on my way out the door and an easy 11 minute run to the seabus. The morning was crisp and there is a thick layer of frost on the ground. I think I should have worn my trail shoes if only for the traction. the run started out OK, out through coal Harbor and past the Westin Bayshore. Into Stanley Park. By that time I know something was wrong. My heart rate was low, and I was feeling light headed. I kept slowing down in an attempt to recover but it was not working. I ended up stopping short of HMCS Discovery on the seawall, stopped my Garmen an walked back to Waterfront Centre. 

At the end of it all I ran 5.8k in 36 minutes including the 1.6 k to the seabus. This run was time on the feet, and a reminder that not every training run has to be perfect. That is why it is training. 3rd run of 2011, and so far by milage I am doing good, with 27 of 32 kms feeling strong...ish.

Lessons for today, eat a better dinner the night before, skipping dinner last night was a bad idea even if I had a huge lunch. Have something better for breakfast, Tea, Vitimins and Protein do not a good run make... and shoes... wear the right shoes for the conditions. I wore my new Nike Free Run shoes today where my trail shoes with a more aggressive tread would have been much better for the frost. Good lessons, and on to the rest of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment